Rationalizing the Irrational!

Thursday, February 4, 2010


Well it is coming to the end of another week. I managed to swim a little, run a little and start a biggest loser contest at my place of employment! I am a little surprised at the reaction from my co-workers though. Some, who I thought would sign up wanted no part of it...others who I assumed would not be interested signed up right away! Funny.

As for my training...I managed to avoid a table full of donuts and muffins today! That in itself was a pure miracle. I had a couple of good runs. But I am concerned that I had a particularly difficult run yesterday afternoon. It was not a long run just about 4.5 km....but my legs felt sluggish and heavy. I think it was due to the fact that I had missed my afternoon snack. The importance of nutrition cannot be discounted.

I think my experience with the "crappy" run this week scares me a little. I am involved with the "biggest loser - Winnipeg" this will require me to cut back a little on my daily caloric intake....but what will my balance be? What if I cut back too much and it affects my marathon training? It could make me sick....I don't want that! I have been considering upping my activity level and keeping my eating static...the down side I don't lose weight fast enough. (of course the goal of the contest is to lose as much weight in 3 months as possible) I would also risk overall fatigue and possible injury if I try to up my activity to rapidly. My body needs time to adjust. They say you should only increase your workout time by 10% each week....if you wish to stay injury free!

So, I think after much consideration I have decided to keep my daily intake at 2100 kcal and I will up my activity to create at least a 500 kcal deficit. This should be a nice manageable balance. Once I lose more weight I will up my activity to create a greater daily deficit.

As of Christmas I am down 8 pounds! That's 6 weeks = 1.3 pounds a week. Nice and healthy , but more important - it's maintainable!

No comments:

Post a Comment