Rationalizing the Irrational!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Ahhhh the SPRING COMMUTE!

 How cool is that ^^^ !!!!!!

Today the bike commute started! I have been waffling over when to start the past month or so. I have enjoyed taking the vehicle everyday...but with gas at $1.16, it was time! Today I took the old T-Rex tank (pictured below), what a hard ride. It is an old TREK mountain bike with knobby tires. The back brake sticks on it and there is something rubbing on the front tire...not sure what it is! I normally ride a newer KONA Dew Drop, but it doesn't have fenders and with the sloppy conditions on the afternoon commute, I chose cleanliness over speediness!!

 The old T-Rex Tank!

This morning the north wind was kind of tough. It wasn't really a hard wind, rather just a little annoying breeze. Just enough to let you know it's still kind of chilly out. I decided to take a little longer route through Osborne Village on the way in. This 16.5 km route has more bike path access than my favored 15 km route up Main St. There were some icy patches that were a tiny bit bothersome. This time of year you have to commit yourself to a slower ride complete with some walking segments. I choose to walk over some larger uneven ice patches. I had a very hard crash a couple of years ago on some funky ice...I swore I would respect ice from that day on. My normal commute time is around 40 - 45 minutes each way. Today it took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get across town! (That's ridiculously slow!!) The return trip was a little better at just under an hour. I took the Main St. route home with a little diversion downtown up Garry St. to Assiniboine...again just to stick to a bike route. This adds probably 1 - 1.5km to the short route. This weekend I am going to look for some clip on fenders for the KONA (pictured below). Now that the bike commute has started there is no stopping it. With starting up some evening university courses this spring, I will be bike commuting way more than ever before...I can't wait!

 The KONA Dew Drop...sweet commuter!

No comments:

Post a Comment