Rationalizing the Irrational!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

2011 is the date


Well I have decided that I will race Ironman Wisconsin in 2011. Logistically it works out for us. So what does that mean? I need to:

-lose 40 more pounds
-ride my bike more
-learn to swim with out buffing my toe nails on the bottom of the pool
-learn to run a marathon properly
-mentally prepare for the distance
-STAY HEALTHY!

Once that is done I'll be fine! Actually the weight lose will make all the above that much easier. I know how to lose weight....that's not the issue. I think for me the swimming will be the hardest part of this journey.

For those who don't know what this triathlon stuff is all about here is a quick guide!

Sprint distance
Swim 750 meters
Bike 20 km
Run 5 km

Olympic Distance
Swim 1500 meters
Bike 40 km
Run 10 km

1/2 Ironman
Swim 1900 meters (basically 2km)
Bike 90 km
Run 21.1 km (1/2 marathon)

Ironman
Swim 3800 meters (approx. 4 km)
Bike 180 km
Run 42.2 km (a full marathon)

Big breath!

The short distances are easy....when you get into the longer courses like the 1/2 and full Ironman not only is it important to be in excellent physical condition, you must also be mentally prepared. The belief that you can finish is the most important thing!

My preparation for 2011 IM Wisconsin begins now.

No comments:

Post a Comment