Rationalizing the Irrational!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Looooooong DRIVE!



I had the afternoon off today, so I decided to practice for a couple of hours before I had to pick Carter up at school. I hit the ball great, but was a little distracted. I don't normally make it a habit to look around at others on the range when I'm practicing but today there was a fellow out there hitting the ball hard....I mean REALLY HARD! I watched him hit a few drivers between my shots. I went back to my work and before I knew it he was standing...watching me! I, being the chatty person I am said "hello!" Turns out this fellow is a competitive long driver. (just missing a trip to Mesquite, NV by about 2 inches....oh, for those who don't know, Mesquite Nevada is where the World Long Drive Championships are held every year.)  He hits the ball 300+ yards consistently. It's funny, you always hear people say: "I hit that one over 300 yards!" but very few people ever actually do. Most amateur/weekend golfers are lucky if they hit it 230 - 250 yards...never mind keeping it straight down the middle! I hit the ball extremely well, and I can only move it out there 280 - 290 (down the middle of course!). You just know when someone hits it 300+, it's a very different sound!   

We had quite the chat, I tried some of his equipment (5.5 degree Kranked Golf driver with a 47" XX flex shaft) I could barely hit it! He was something to watch...by his own admission, he's not a very good golfer score wise, but can he could sure rip the cover off a ball with a driver! At the end of our session, we agreed we'd hook up to play sometime. It was a very interesting experience.

On another note the facility where I practice asked if I'd like to teach their Junior and Ladies programs. (I know the course owners very well) I am looking forward to it, aside from playing competitively I really do miss the teaching. There is a special excitement when someone hits a ball where they intended to hit it for the first time...the looks on their face when it all comes together is magical. Especially juniors! 

Lastly.....WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH OUR WEEKEND FORECAST?!?!?!?!?!



  Friday
Apr. 29
Saturday
Apr. 30
Sunday
May. 1
Monday
May. 2
Tuesday
May. 3
Wednesday
May. 4
Conditions
6am - 6pm
Cloudy with showers Light rain Scattered flurries Cloudy periods Variable cloudiness Isolated showers
  Cloudy with showers Light rain Scattered flurries Cloudy periods Variable cloudiness Isolated showers
P.O.P. 40% 80% 40% 20% 40% 40%
High 20°C 6°C 3°C 13°C 15°C 12°C
Feels Like - - -5 - - -
Low 9°C 0°C -3°C -2°C 5°C 5°C
Wind S 15 km/h N 25 km/h N 25 km/h S 10 km/h S 25 km/h N 20 km/h
24-Hr Rain 5-10 mm 5-10 mm - close to 1 mm 1-3 mm less than 1 mm
24-Hr Snow - close to 1 cm less than 1 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment